Interphone: Einwände gegen Ergebnis-Interpretation (Forschung)

H. Lamarr @, München, Sonntag, 14.12.2008, 19:51 (vor 5583 Tagen) @ H. Lamarr

Eine ganze Reihe von Wissenschaftlern stützen Ihre Bedenken gegen eine alarmierende Interpretation der Interphone-Studie darauf, dass möglicherweise durch das Auswahlverfahren für die Studienteilnehmer eine Verzerrung der Ergebnisse programmiert wurde, noch bevor die Studie überhaupt begann. Die unten im Abstrakt formulierten Einwände werden von anderen an Interphone beteiligten Wissenschaftlern abgelehnt, mit dem Ergebnis, dass um den Abschlussbericht dieser wichtigen Großstudie seit fast zwei Jahren gerungen wird. An dem Abstrakt hat auch Elisabeth Cardis mitgewirkt, lange Jahre Koordinatorin der Großstudie. Dies spricht gegen ein Gerücht, wonach Cardis vor einigen Monaten vom Posten des Koordinators zurücktrat, um gegen eine verharmlosende Interpretation der Interphone-Studie zu protestieren.

Quantifying the impact of selection bias caused by nonparticipation in a case-control study of mobile phone use.

Vrijheid M, Richardson L, Armstrong BK, Auvinen A, Berg G, Carroll M, Chetrit A, Deltour I, Feychting M, Giles GG, Hours M, Iavarone I, Lagorio S, Lönn S, McBride M, Parent ME, Sadetzki S, Salminen T, Sanchez M, Schlehofer B, Schüz J, Siemiatycki J, Tynes T, Woodward A, Yamaguchi N, Cardis E.

International Agency for Research on Cancer, Lyon, France. mvrijheid@creal.cat

PURPOSE: To quantitatively assess the impact of selection bias caused by nonparticipation in a multinational case-control study of mobile phone use and brain tumor.
METHODS: Non-response questionnaires (NRQ) were completed by a sub-set of nonparticipants. Selection bias factors were calculated based on the prevalence of mobile phone use reported by nonparticipants with NRQ data, and on scenarios of hypothetical exposure prevalence for other nonparticipants.
RESULTS: Regular mobile phone use was reported less frequently by controls and cases who completed the NRQ (controls, 56%; cases, 50%) than by those who completed the full interview (controls, 69%; cases, 66%). This relationship was consistent across study centers, sex, and age groups. Lower education and more recent start of mobile phone use were associated with refusal to participate. Bias factors varied between 0.87 and 0.92 in the most plausible scenarios.
CONCLUSIONS: Refusal to participate in brain tumor case-control studies seems to be related to less prevalent use of mobile phones, and this could result in a downward bias of around 10% in odds ratios for regular mobile phone use. The use of simple selection bias estimation methods in case-control studies can give important insights into the extent of any bias, even when nonparticipant information is incomplete.

PMID: 19064187 [PubMed - in process]

--
Jedes komplexe Problem hat eine Lösung, die einfach, naheliegend, plausibel – und falsch ist.
– Frei nach Henry Louis Mencken (1880–1956) –

Tags:
IARC, Interphone, Cardis, Schüz, Impact Factor, Feychting, Deltour

gesamter Thread:

RSS-Feed dieser Diskussion